Cllr. Ceri Griffiths, Martin Hughes, Emma Howie, Mark Armstrong, Cllr. Gwynfor Owen (Gwynedd Council). 


Cllrs. Edwina Evans (Chairman), Christopher Braithwaite (Vice Chairman), Tegid John, Rhian Corps, Thomas Mort, Gordon Howie, Huw Jones, Wendy Williams, and Cllr. Annwen Hughes (Gwynedd Council).

On behalf of the Council the Chairman sympathised with Cllr. Gordon Howie following the death of his Mother and also similarly with Cllr. Emma Howie in the death of her Grandmother Mrs Gwenfair Howie.


The minutes of the meeting held on April 3rd 2023 were found to be correct.


Nobody declared an interest on any matters.


The following report was received from Cllrs. Gwynfor Owen and Annwen Hughes – Cllr. Annwen Hughes reported 

that since the last meeting that she had received an email complaining about the condition of the toilets in Min y Don car park and she had forwarded this email to Gwynedd Council and received the following reply from them – that these toilets had been inspected on the 3rd of April and that concerns about one of the women’s toilets had been raised because it was leaking and the matter had been referred to the property section. Also confirming that these toilets have undergone a deep clean-up as well as minor repairs before they were opened and they will be repainted together with other necessary work this year. She had also noticed when in town that a “manhole” at the junction of Pendref road had sinked and she had sent pictures of this to the Highways Department and received a reply that the Inspector wanted to assess the location and most probably these covers are Welsh Water covers and so they will serve notice to Welsh Water to maintain them within a certain time. Cllr. Hughes also reported that following the visit of members of the POBL group from Llanbedr with the Deputy Minister for Climate Change Lee Waters in Cardiff on the 26th of last month that he has agreed to a travel package (transport) for the village which will include a low speed bypass along with pavement, car park and other stage development.


Election of Officers for the year 23/24

Chairman:-          Cllr. Edwina Evans

Vice Chairman:-  Cllr. Christopher Braithwaite

Members of Sub Committees – 

Cemetery –  gather any 6 Councillors together

Planning– gather any 6 Councillors together

Footpaths  – Clllr. Thomas Mort and any 5 other Councillors

Memorial Hall – Cllrs. Edwina Evans and Ceri Griffiths

Playing Fields – Cllrs. Emma Howie, Christopher Braithwaite, Rhian Corps and Tegid John

Old Library – Cllrs. Thomas Mort, Edwina Evans and Martin Hughes

One Voice Wales – Cllrs. Thomas Mort and Martin Hughes

Public Benches – Cllrs. Thomas Mort and Rhian Corps 

Allotments– Cllrs. Huw Jones and Tegid John

Bron y Graig Nature Trail – Cllrs. Huw Jones, Martin Hughes, Tegid John, Gordon Howie, Christopher Braithwaite

Harlech & Ardudwy  Leisure– Cllrs. Edwina Evans and Gordon Howie

Tan y Castell School Governor – Cllr. Mark Armstrong


Budget Plan

It was reported that the Council had spent £2,185.11 (which included bank charges) since the start of the new financial year and this was £1.764.39 less expenditure than what  was earmarked in the budget for the year. 

Ty Canol Signs

The Clerk reported that she had contacted Iwan Ap Trevor once again on the 20th of last month to ask where the above signs were and why they had not been installed and she had been told by him that they would be erected in the next two weeks. She further reported that she had contacted him once more because these signs had still not been installed but she had not received a reply.

King George V Playing Field

Cllr. Christopher Braithwaite informed the Members that the installation of the new equipment in the above playground had been completed and on behalf of the Council the Chairman thanked Cllr. Christopher Braithwaite and Cllr. Emma Howie for all their hard work with this project and stated that she was not happy to see on social media that some others were taking credit for this work and not recognising the work the Community Council does. After a discussion it was agreed that a new fence was needed along the side of the road, the development of a path from the road to the play area and also new mats and Cllr. Christopher Braithwaite agreed to look for prices to do these works

Tennis Court

It has been reported that Members have agreed to put this issue on the agenda because some of the public have asked if it could be tidied up. It was agreed that Members carry on with this work and Cllr. Wendy Williams agreed to invite the person that wants to carry out this work to the next meeting of the Council on the 5th June at 7.30 p.m..

Bus Shelters

The Clerk reported that she had contacted Gwynedd Council once more to ask if they had received grant money to purchase bus shelters, but unfortunately had received a reply from them that no grant money had been received and they anticipated it to be unavailable due to the financial situation. She further reported that she had contacted a company called BC Shelters requesting a catalogue that shows the different shelters that they provide and that she had received a reply stating they don’t have a catalogu with prices as each quote and variant of shelter is tailored individually to meet the needs of each customer and if they could know where we are based and what size shelter we needed they would provide the Council with a quote. Cllr. Christopher Braithwaite agreed to deal with this matter.


It was reported that a meeting had been held between Board members of the above and representatives of the Town and Community Councils of the area on the 27th of last month. Cllrs. Edwina Evans, Christopher Braithwaite, Thomas Mort and Wendy Williams had attended this meeting on behalf of this Council and it was reported that it had been a very fruitful meeting and that Council Members from all the six Councils are in agreement what should be done to carry forward. The Clerk reported that she had received an email from one of the Board Directors along with copies of the centre’s profit and loss accounts for the last 4 months, the names of some people that they hope will soon join the Board and also a copy of the draft business plan. The Clerk reported that she had forwarded this email to all Members. It was agreed unanimously after a discussion to pay the Council’s contribution for the next 6 months every month instaed of one payment.

Annual Report

The Clerk reported that she is now asking that the Council publish an Annual Report for the financial year which has been so because of this she has sent a copy of the Report that she has prepared for the Council to all Members for comment if necessary. The Clerk reported in the absence of Cllr. Martin Hughes that she had received observations from him regarding this report and stating as follows – £9000 fraud: this something quite exceptional and about 10% of our budget. So I believe we need explain how it happened and be quite specific about what remedial measures we 


are taking for the future. We should also say we’re asking the auditors to investigate and advise us.  The report should include  the name of the External Auditor and the Council’s bankers. The annual accounts will presumably be attached to the annual report for publication. So the annual report should include a financial review, including a reserves policy. The members agreed that none of the above needed to be included in the annual report because the Clerk has initially included a full summary of what happened with the fraud in a separate report to the Internal Auditors to begin with, and the  Members considered it unnecessary to include the name of the External Auditors or the Council bankers


Extension to existing balcony on the front elevation – Morlun, Ffordd Uchaf, Harlech (NP5/61/56E)

Suppoort this application.


The Treasurer reported that there was £86,460.64 in the current account and £31,244.62 in the reserve account.

Invoices needing payment since last meeting

BHIB Insurance Ltd  – £1,709.15 –  Council’s Insurance

Mr. G. J. Williams       –  £152.00  –  cut grass on football field and King George playing field

Mr. M. J. Kerr             –   £440.00  –  opening grave re the late Mrs Jean North.

Mr. Lee Warwick         – £288.84 –  upkeep and clean toilets by memorial hall (two months)

Monies received since last meeting

Gwynedd Council – £35,000.00 –  half the precept.

Mr. D. W. Owen   –       £100.00  –  allotment rent nos. 1 & 3

Mr. Mark Brook    –         £80.00  –  allotment rent nos. 11 & 12

Customs & Excise   –     £448.55  –  V.A.T reimbursement

Glyn Rees & Son  –        £907.36 –  burial of the late Mrs Jean North

Mr. Lee Warwick    –       £60.00  –  allotment rent nos. 13 & 14

Applications for financial contributions

Harlech & Ardudwy Leisure – £1,750.00 –precept proposal (monthly payment).


Gwynedd Council – Environment Department

Received a letter from the above informing the Council that Twtil road will be closed on the 31st of this month so that works to connect a new supply pipe on behalf of Welsh Water can be carried out. Concern was voiced that this work is going to be carried out during whitsun bank holiday when there will be many tourists around.

Snowdonia National Park

Received an e-mail with regards to the Draft Review Report Snowdonia Local Development Plan and asking for the Council’s views on it by the 12th of May. The Clerk stated that she had forwarded this e-mail to every Member.

Snowdonia National Park

Received an email from the above informing the Council that the Authority is officially starting the review of the Local Development Plan 2016-2031 and asking if anyone is interested in attending a webinar over zoom with Policy Team Officers on Thursday June 8th at 7.30pm. The Clerk reported in the absence of Cllr. Martin Hughes that he was willing to attend this meeting.


Mr. Paul Marsden

Received an email from the above regarding Harlech beach stating that as a family they love visiting this beach andthey always do a bit of litter picking on the beach when walking back for the car park. Therefore asking if it would be an idea for Gwynedd Council to promote for this to be done by beachgoers by putting up signs in known places. It was stated that it would be a good idea to install a skip on the piece of land on the left hand side as going down to the beach.

Ms Eleri Price

Received an email from the above asking for permission to use King George V’s playground as her daughter’s wedding venue. It was agreed to give them permission to use the field for this occasion provided it was large enough and also they get public liability insurance themselves, and an event licence and letting the people in the surrounding houses know about this event.


It was reported that the caretaker of the public toilets near the memorial hall was going on holiday soon and Cllr. Huw Jones agreed to deal with this issue.

It was reported that the pothole near Morfa Garage was getting worse and Cllr. Annwen Hughes agreed to contact the Highways Department once more about this.

Want to contact Gwynedd Council to ask if the car charging points now work in Bron y Graig Uchaf car park.

It was made known that the croquett players needed a suitable place to hold their games and it was suggested that they ask Ysgol Ardudwy for use of the school field and Mr. Iolo Owen of Hamdden Ardudwy if they would be allowed to use the leisure centre during the winter season.


DATE………………………………………………                   754.

Share the Post:

Related Posts