February 24, 2020

Minutes of Harlech Community Council meeting held on 03.02.20

MINUTES OF HARLECH COMMUNITY COUNCIL MEETING HELD AT THE OLD LIBRARY, HARLECH AT 7.30 P.M. ON 03.02.20
Annwen Hughes

APOLOGIES

Cllr. Judith Strevens, Elfyn Anwyl.

 

PRESENT

Cllrs. Huw Jones (Chairman),  FreyaBentham (Vice Chairman),  CeriGriffith, SianRoberts, Edwina Evans, Caerwyn Roberts , Gordon Howie, Wendy Williams, ThomasMort, Martin Hughes.

 

The Chairman welcomed Leigh and Jakefrom the sands of LIFE project to the meeting. It was made known by them thatthey work on behalf of Natural Resources Wales and that they are proposing tocarry out some clearing work  on the sanddunes in Harlech near the golff course. This is being done mainly so as toattract the sand lizard back to Harlech as this is the best place to find it.It was stated that this was a short project and they were hoping to start verysoon on the work. They stated that they would send out regular newsletters tothe Council via the Clerk and any other relevant information that is to do withthis work.

 

On behalf of the Council theChairman wished Cllr. Elfyn Anwyl a speedy recovery following his recentoperation.

 

MINUTES

The minutes of the meeting held on January6th 2020 were found to be correct.

 

DECLARATIONOF INTEREST

No Member declared an interest onany matter.

 

MATTERSARISING

BudgetPlan

Copies showing the differences between theexpenditure that had been made up to the 31st December 2019 since the beginningof April 2019 and what had been earmarked on the budget plan up to the end ofDecember was given to every member.  Itwas reported that the Council had spent £54,396.26 since the start of the new financialyear and this was £2,646.44 less expenditure than what  was earmarked in the budget for the year.  

 

Harlech Community Forum

Cllr. FreyaBentham stated that she had met with Cllrs. Sian Roberts and Martin Hughes andhas spoken to the Regeneration Officer of Gwynedd Council about forming a draftstrategy and the questions that arose were – how do we represent everyone (asnot everyone is a member of an organisation/group) and how do we encourageyoungsters and youth organisations to get involved. With regard to the KingGeorge V management group, Cllr. Bentham reported that she had a draft e-mailwritten and was just waiting to hear back from the parks group before sendingit out.

 

Toiletsby the Castle

TheChairman reported that Mr. Lee Warwick had started on the work of paintinginside the above toilets and now there was a need for an inspection of theelectric work an plumbing work to be carried out and the Chairman agreed to askMr. Geraint Jones to carry out the work of inspecting the electricity and Mr.David John the work of carrying out an inspection of the plumbing works. Cllr.Freya Bentham agreed to make enquiries if there was a need to advertise to getsomebody to clean the toilets and open and close them or would the Council beable to ask someone that they know who is willing to do this work.

 

Bron y Graig Nature Trail

Cllr.Freya Bentham reported that she had received a report from Mr. Rhydian Roberts,Trees and Woodland Officer, Snowdonia National Park regarding the trees on theabove path and also some by Noddfa that is on Pen y Graig land.

 

TheClerk reported further that Mr. Rhydian Roberts had been in contact with herand also with Mr. Edward Griffiths (Treefella) stating that it would be fine tocut down the pine tree that is on Pen y Graig land but wanted to keep the ash treethat is on the nature trail to see if it will sprout. If it will sprout therewill be a need to prune it back, and if it does not sprout the best thing to dowould be to cut it down.

 

Harlechand Ardudwy Leisure Board Meeting

Cllr. FreyaBentham reported that she and Cllr. Gordon Howie had attend the meeting of theabove Board on the 16th of this month on behalf of the Council and theyreported as follows – they wanted the views of the Councils in the area on arequest that the Directors of the Board have received by naturists asking touse the pool. It was agreed, after a discussion, that the Members were happyfor this to be done. The income for the pool and cafe was down 3k and 2k fromthe previous year maybe because of the good weather in the summer, but theincome for the climbing wall was up 12% from £35,000 to £40,000 showing moreuse is mae of this by people from further afield who were not using the otherfacilities. There was not much discussion on other matters and the next meetingwill be held on the 19th March.

 

Gwynedd Council Matters

Cllr. Freya Bentham reported  that she had contacted the maritime departmentwith regard to access onto the beach and they had stated maybe a joint agencyapproach could be considered to ease beach access before the easter holidays,with regard to the car parks there is a proposal that a 1 hour’s tariff will beintroduced on all long stay car parks. She had been informed that maybe legaladvice was being sought with regard to the land by Wern y Wylan, that she wastrying to get a meeting with the dog warden so as to try again in getting a dogfouling bin down the Nant. That she had sent the concerns the Council have withregard to the plans Gwynedd Council have to reduce speeding down St. Davidshill and outside Ty Canol to the Highways Department.

 

PLANNING APPLICATIONS

Erection of single storey side extension,increase to front terrace level widening of exisiting parking area and removalof two chimneys – Haulfryn, Old Llanfair Road, Harlech (NP5/61/634)

Support  this application.

 

TREASURER’SREPORT

The Treasurer reported that there was £28,918.68 in the bank, £31,070.39in the reserve account,  £100.00 in theChairman’s account and £2.82 in the cemetery account.

 

Invoicesneeding payment since last meeting

Dwr Cymru                                     - £26.66 – water tap in the allotments

GwyneddCouncil                     - £1,043.23 –use of electricity for christmas lights

Harlech OldLibrary & Institute - £165.00 – hire of meeting of room

 

Moniesreceived since last meeting

Nonecome to hand since last meeting.

 

CORRESPONDANCE

Gwynedd Council –  Highways Department

The Clerkreported that she had received a reply from the above Department regarding theplay park that is in the Y Waun and stating that taking responsibility inprincipal and it is a topic for further discussion on the level of responsibilitythis Council wishes to take on. This Council can decide to take fullresponsibility or decide to work in partnership with Gwynedd Council  by taking assets over and that GwyneddCouncil would still inspect on their behalf. Also enclosed is an estimated costof running the play park for 2018/19 – Y Waun play park £342.05. It was agreedthat the Council would work in partnership with Gwynedd Council.

 

 

Wales Air Ambulance

Received a  letter from the above asking for a financialdonation so as to enable them to evolve from their current 12 hour service intoone that operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It was agreed to discussthis together with the rest of the financial applications next month.

 

Mrs Chris John

Receiveda letter from the above on behalf of the family asking for permission to erecta bench at the top in the public cemetery. It was agreed not to give permissionat the moment as the Council have plans with erecting a wall and clearing backgrowth near the site. Once this work is carried out the Council will look againat the request.

 

Harlech Community Parks Group

Received an e-mail from the above stating that they had not heard from the Community Council about wether they are goingto use the money to repair the equipment in the parks.  If this is notgoing to happen then the Group would like to use the money for the originalpurpose of installing a disabled gate at the entrance of King George playing fieldand to install recycling bins within the fenced area and if any monies are leftto repair some of the fencing. It was agreed to reply asking what equipment actually needs repairing. Also theMembers  would like more details aboutwhat the Group means with installing a disabled gate as the gate at theentrance is wide enough as a disabled access. Also what is meant by recyclingbins, do they mean the multi purpose litter bins or bigger recycling bins(which the Council would oppose to), as the Council has an agreement with GwyneddCouncil to empty the litter bins which are currently on site. Once the Councilhas had a reply to the above queries their request will be discussed again atthe next Council meeting.

 

ANY OTHER MATTER

The Chairmanreported that he had been informed by the Police that they patrol the area on aregular basis and it was agreed that he informs them that they are welcome todrop in to the Council anytime they are around the town on a Council meetingnight.

The Chairmanmadeit known that he had, because of the concern of the Council that the workhad not been started, had spoken with Mr. Meirion Evans with regard to erectinga wall in the cemetery. Everybody agreed to ask Mr. Meirion Evans to carry outthis work and Cllr. Caerwyn Roberts agreed to inform Mr. Harri Pugh about this.

A report ofthe One Voice Wales meeting was given by Cllr. Martin Hughes and he stated thatquite a few things had been discussed and he presented a report regarding whatwas needed for Town and Community Councils to implement to get a website andwhat was the legal requirement of a website for Councils. It was agreed thatthe Chairman would consult with Mr. Owen Brown with regard to this matter andshow him a copy of the document so as to bring the Council’s website up to thelegal requirement.

It was agreedto ask Mr. Meirion Griffith to tidy the allotments that are empty.

It was agreedto invite craftsmen that are experienced and competent in their trade to puttheir names down on a register so as to be able to carry out work for theCouncil.

 

View Files