March 22, 2022

MINUTES OF HARLECH COMMUNITY COUNCIL MEETING HELD AT THE BAND ROOM, HARLECH AT 7.30 P.M. ON 10.01.22

MINUTES OF HARLECH COMMUNITY COUNCIL MEETING HELD AT THE BAND ROOM, HARLECH AT 7.30 P.M. ON 10.01.22
Annwen Hughes 10.01.22

APOLOGIES

Cllrs. Tegid John, Thomas Mort

 

PRESENT

Cllrs. Huw Jones (Chairman), EdwinaEvans (Vice Chairman), Christopher Braithwaite, SianRoberts, Martin Hughes, Ceri Griffiths, Rhian Corps, Gordon Howie, Emma Howie, WendyWilliams and Cllr. Gwynfor Owen (Gwynedd Council).

 

MINUTES

The minutes of the meeting held on December6th 2021 were found to be correct.

 

DECLARATIONOF INTEREST

Nobody had any declaration ofinterst to make.

 

GWYNEDD COUNCIL MATTERS

The following report was receivedfrom Cllr. Gwynfor Owen – He had been around the area with GwyneddCouncil’s Chief Executive and also with the Meirionnydd Area Engineer and thatthey had noted that the painting of white lines had not been completed by Brony Graig junction. There was concern that ones that were housebound had not receivedtheir latest booster. It was made known that the community gangs will be restartingin Gwynedd shortly and that 2 gans will be in Meirionnydd. He had been aroundthe town with an Officer from the Welsh Government to promote the welshlanguage and also had been promoting the Meirion Trail.

 

MATTERSARISING

BudgetPlan

Copies showing the differences between theexpenditure that had been made up to the 31st December 2021 since the beginningof April 2021 and what had been earmarked on the budget plan up to the end ofDecember was given to every member.  Itwas reported that the Council had spent £69,353.12 (which included bank charges) sincethe start of the new financial year and this was £6,165.22 more expenditurethan what  was earmarked in the budgetfor the year. The members went through the different expenditures that had beenmade and the differences that were on the business plan individually. It wasagreed to accept the above.

 

Community Councils Election May 2022    

The Clerk reported that she had received an e-mailfrom the Electoral Department, Gwynedd Council informing the Members becauseelections are been held in May 2022 that every Town and Community Council haveto earmark £1,500-£2,000 in their budget incase an election will be held intheir Community Council.

 

Council’s Budget for 2022/23

The Treasurer gave each member a copy ofthe Council’s accounts up to the year ending 31st December 2020 so that theycould see what the financial situation was like. A discussion took place and itwas decided that an estimate of the following costs were going to be with theCouncil during the next financial year - Council’s insurance £2,000, Clerk’swages £2,200, Clerk’s expenses £1,800 , office expenses £500, tax on Clerk’swages £440, Clerk’s Accountant £204, donations £5,000, Harlech & ArdudwyLeisure £20,914.76, Memorial Hall committee £2,000, Old Library committee £2,000,cemetery costs £3,500, grass cutting of the cemetery £2,000, grass cutting ofthe footpaths £2,500, grass cutting King George playing field £1,000, Bron yGraig Nature Trail £2,000, Welsh Water £40, salt bins £400, christmas lights£2,000, benches £1,000, emptying litter bins in playing fields £1,000, run andupkeep of toilets

by Memorial Hall £8,000, contribution tokeep public toilets open £10,000, One Voice Wales £300, rent meeting room £200,up keep of both play parks £10,000, inspection of play parks £300, Council’s website£120, tennis court rates £120, auditors £600, sundries £1,000, upkeep ofvarious items £500, Community Councils election £1,500.

703…………………………………………………Chairman

Council’s Precept for 2022/23

A letter was received from Gwynedd Councilwith regard to the above.  Afterdisgussing the budget and foreseeing what the Council’s expenditure will be forthe forthcoming financial year,  it wasdecided to keep the  precept at £70,000.

 

Council’s Risk Assessment

Copies of the above was given to eachmember that was present and every item on it was discussed individually. It wasdecided to accept this policy.

 

Efficient Internal Control

The above was discussed in lenght againthis year and it was agreed that the present arrangement is acceptable wherethe Treasurer gives a financial report along with a copy of the Council’s bankreconciliation to the Members every month and also minutes the payment andreceipts that are made together with the financial situation every month.

 

Independant Renumeration Panel

The Clerk reported that a form had to besigned by every Councillor again this year with regard to the above. There is aneed to list every rule that is been adopted in the Council minutes and if a paymentrule regarding costs is been adopted the Councillors that DO NOT claim expensessign the form declaring this. After a discussion it was agreed to adopt thepayments rule regarding costs again this year and it was agreed that everybodythat wanted to claim costs would do so but it was important that everybodyreturn the form back to the Clerk once it was completed.

 

Ty Canol Signs

The Chairman reported that he had received aletter from the National Park stating that the application that was submittedwas not complete because some points had not been completed and that the planswere not of acceptable standard. It was agreed that the Chairman would contactMr. Richard John to ask him to draw up plans and the Clerk reported that a notice under article 10 “applicationfor planning permission” had been placed in the Cambrian News.

 

Pen y Graig Land

TheChairman reported that the work of clearing the above land had been completed.

 

GasTanks on NatureTrail Land

TheClerk reported that she had received an e-mail from the owner of Pant Mawrregarding the above matter and stating that her Solicitor was saying that thearrangement between the Community Council and them needed to be renewed. Alsostating it would be better to draw up an Easement instead of a Licence as alreadyexists between them. The Clerk reported further that, with the permission ofthe Chairman had contacted Guthrie Jones & Jones, Bala who would be actingas Solicitors for the Council in this matter and that Mr. Dylan Edward fromthis company had contacted her stating if an Easement was to be drawn up thiswould mean a one off payment instaed of an annual payment which the Council receivenow, also Mr. Edwards stated further that he had spoken with the Solicitor ofthe owner of Pant Mawr and that they had stated that they wanted the Easementfor nothing and because of this there is a need for the Council to make adecision if it is a Licence or an Easement they want between the owners of PantMawr and them. It was agreed to carry on with the present arrangement and drawup a new Licence.

 

PLANNING APPLICATIONS

Change of Use of part ofground floor restaurant from A3 (Food retail) to C3 (Residential) - YPlas, High Street, Harlech (NP5/61/LB32K)

Objections to this application as the Membersare of the opinion that the building has never been a house and also concernedthat the town will loose another business. Also the Members had concerns withregards to the parking as a problem already exists in the town and the buildingis in a Conservation area.

 

704…………………………………………………Chairman

 

Listed Building Consentfor internal works to accommodate the change the use of part of ground floorrestaurant from A3 (Food retail) to C3 (Residential) - Y Plas, HighStreet, Harlech (NP5/61/LB32L)

Objections to this application as the Membersare of the opinion that the building has never been a house and also concernedthat the town will loose another business. Also the Members had concerns withregards to the parking as a problem already exists in the town and the buildingis in a Conservation area.

 

Erection of single storeyside extension and insertion of rooflight - Hiraethog, High Street,Harlech (NP5/61/599D)

Support this application.

 

Siting of 4 glamping podswithin rear beer garden and use of former cellar/store building to providetoilet/shower facilities - Lion Hotel, Harlech (NP5/61/L80G)

Support thisapplication but the Members have concerns with parking the additional cars andalso concerns with regards to the emergency services having access to the pods.

 

TREASURER’SREPORT

The Treasurer reported that there was £52,842.89 inthe bank, £31,095.34 in the reserve account, £92.00 in the Chairman’s accountand £0.00 in the cemetery account.

 

Invoicesneeding payment since last meeting

Mr. Lee Warwick                - £160.30–  upkeep and clean toilets by memorialhall.

Customs & Excise                -£110.00  -  tax on Clerk’s wages

Tindle Newspapers Wales - £456.00 –  planning application notice

 

Moniesreceived since last meeting

PantMawr Residential Park   -  £290.00 – gas tanks rent on nature trail land

Customs & Excise          - £3,365.97 -   repayment of V.A.T.

 

The Treasurer reported that she hadreceived bank statements showing the bank charges for last month and that HSBCwere charging £8.00 as a fee for maintaining the Council’s accounts and thatshe had been to the bank to question this as she was under the impression that£5.00 was the fee for maintaining charity accounts. She had received anexplanation that the Council’s accounts were not eligable to be a charity accountand therefore it had been transferred to be a buisness account. The Treasurerexplained further that she had contacted HSBC again asking them to raise acomplaint with regards to this and get the account transferred to be a charityaccount. Also as there was a monthly charge of £8.00 for maintaining thecemetery account and the Chairman’s account the Members agreed to close these twoaccounts and the appropriate forms were signed.

 

The Treasurer reported that the Councilhad over spent £6,165.22 since the beginning of this financial year up to 31stDecember 2021 and that she was forseen that £84,363.20 would be carried forward on the 31st March 2022. Itmust also be remembered that at least £4,478.00 expenditure needs to be done bythe end of March 2022 and  only £5,030.97to come in (at the moment) and the Council will have substantial expenditure todo during the next financial year 2022/23 because £20,914.76 has been earmarkedfor Harlech and Ardudwy Leisure and £10,000 has been earmarked for Gwynedd Councilas the Council’s contribution to keep the public toilets open and £8,000 forthe running and upkeep of the toilets by the Memorial Hall when they open makinga total of £38,914.76 without including no other expenditure the Council willbe doing. Therefore by remembering that maybe £84,363.20 will be carried overand the precept has been left at £70,000 (£84,363.20+ £70,000 = £154,363.20 - £38,914.76 = £115,448.44)  maybe the Council will be fine with their expenditurefor the financial year 2022/23. The Members will have a better financialforecast for the year to come at the end of March 2022.

 

 

 

 

705…………………………………………………Chairman

 

 

 

CORRESPONDANCE

Welsh Government

Received aletter from the above informing the Council that the appropriate sum under Section137(4)(a) of Local Government Act 1972, Section 137 Expenditure Limit for 2022/23will be £8.82 per elector. The Clerk reported that the latest number of electorsshe has is 1,136 and therefore the Council have the right to contribute up to£9,553.76 to outside bodies.

 

GwyneddCouncil – Highways Department

Received aletter from the above department informing the Council, as an addition to thewinter maintenance service they will be providing salt to the appropriate saltbins that are in the community free of charge from now on.

 

ANY OTHER MATTER

It was madeknown that the National Park had not placed a notice with regard to Y Plasplanning application and the Clerk agreed to speak with Mr. Aled Lloyd withregards to this.

It was madeknown that the toilets near the castel needed painting and that Mr. Lee Warwickwas going to carry out the work.

Concern wasvoiced that there was so much dog poo around so many areas.

The Clerkreported that she had met with Mr. Alan Hughes, Street Enforcement Officer,Gwynedd Council with regards to placing a dog poo bin on Beach Road following arequest from an elector and that he had agreed to erect one near the big gatethat goes into King George V playing field.

Adiscussion took place with regards to King George V playing field and thecomplaints received regarding lack of equipment there for older children, andalso the fact that some of the equipment already there was not up to standard.Cllr. Christopher Braithwaite agreed to ask G. L. Jones, Bethesda to have alook at the equipment and it was agreed to purchase equipment that would besuitable for older childern.

 

 

SIGNED..............................................Chairman  

 

DATE......................................................                   706.

                                       

                               

 

 

 

View Files